Saturday, October 3, 2009

Over the River and Through the Woods...

Today we went on a Treasure Hunt Trail Ride for Misty River Hounds - it was so much fun!! I actually rode Coaster in a halter the entire 2 hour ride. It was very much a through the river, over the mountains, through the cows (yikes!) and across the field type of hunter pace. He was great - completely responsive to the halter the entire time - even when galloping!

I'm thinking of going to Opening Hunt on Nov 7 and riding in second field. I don't want to ask him to jump on all that crazy terrain, but I think it would be fun to go and gallop the hills. It will also help with our confidence level all around, and get us both in shape. I just worry because he is so flat footed and this fixture has some seriously rocky places.

On another note, I'm doing a dressage show in Oklahoma next Sunday. We are doing Training 4 and 1st Level 1...in a halter. Do you see the current theme in my training right now? I really just don't trust myself to not go back to old habits that resulted in hitting that dang tree (my shoulder STILL hurts every morning!). I figure if I can successfully do a dressage test in a halter and score well then it will be super easy when I put the bit back in his mouth. My current number one goal: to be able to school Training Lvl XC in the halter - successfully of course!!!

1 comment:

Tim said...

You should come visit me sometime in Sallisaw when I am at work.