Monday, June 23, 2008

At Least One of Us Will Be In Shape...

...and it won't be me!!!

So after I realized that due to my ever present tonsillitis and need to have my wisdom teeth removed this summer that my riding opportunities are pretty much non-existent. So after a few days of lounging around at my parents' house while my mom fed me soup and hot teas/ciders (yes, in the dead of Arkansas summer), I decided that even if I can't be in shape there is no reason why Coaster cannot. So I did some text messaging (I still don't have much of a voice) and did something I've never done before - I offered to pay somebody to ride my horse while I cannot.

I know that it may not seem like a big deal to some people, but riding is what I pride myself on, it is part of who I am. I guess by paying somebody to ride my horse I kind of feel like I'm selling out in a way. But I really don't like him sitting in a stall all day (at least he gets out in the pasture at night). Also, with this heat it really isn't good for him to be in as bad shape as he is now. I've cut back his grain to like a quarter of what he would normally get, but being a warmblood, he smells grain and holds/gains weight. The only way for him to have proper nutrition (aka grass hay water and some grain) and not gain weight is if he is ridden.

Krissi, the girl who will ride him, is really excited about it. She saw me compete him a couple months ago and was really impressed by him, so at least I know she will at least start out happy...lol...until she realizes what a big doofus my perfect horse can be after a couple of weeks off! I'm literally having her start out with 20 minute sessions of walk/trot for two reasons:

Reason A: It is hot, he already colicked earlier this year, and I don't want him overworked - especially when I'm out of town.
Reason B: It is all I can afford! She is even going to cut be a deal and my parents said they will help out b/c obviously, if I'm stuck in bed with a fever and no voice, I can't wait tables OR ride horses - the two things I do to make money...

I just kind of feel like a bad horse owner for having to put over my horses care and riding and training to somebody else. I know it isn't like this is what I would choose normally, but it seemed best for my horse, and for my peace of mind, while I'm stuck out of the saddle.

No comments: