Wednesday, June 18, 2008

A Woman's Place is on a Horse

"The air of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears." - Arabian Proverb

My favorite place in the world has always been on the back of the horse. Through the past three years going to school has somewhat hindered my schedule to the point where I haven't been able to ride, much less compete, nearly enough to my liking, but this summer has really seem to have taken a toll on my riding and therefore my state of mind...

Between my horse colicking for the first time in the four years I've had him and my own health issues this summer I have not been able to ride nearly as much as I had planned this summer. I haven't been able to ride at all actually, which really sucks. I just can't wait to get back in the saddle!

Coaster's SmartPak arrived at the barn today! I've started him on Summer Games Electrolytes (made by Kentucky Performance Products), which I strongly recommend if you want to put your horse on a good, sugar free electrolyte; as well as MSM for his joints. I really worry about him, not necessarily because of the amount of workload (or lack thereof!) but because he does have such a big body and bone mass. Now that he has started the electrolytes I will feel comfortable putting him back into work as soon as I get back into town. Of course the timing really stinks with this, because now that my horse has recovered from his impromptu trip to Oklahoma State University two weeks ago I am stuck two hundred miles away sick as a dog!

How do y'all overcome the lack of riding blues? Especially when you are too far away to even go visit your buddy?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great work.