Sunday, October 12, 2008

NWAHJA Show

We did the 3' and 3'3" jumpers on Saturday at a local hunter/jumper show and I was very pleased with how he jumped. The footing was really deep in some places and extremely slippery in others, so the fact that he kept his footing at all was an accomplishment! In the first division we got Reserve Champion (my trainer got Champion, so I guess I can be okay with that!) and then I actually tied with my trainer for Champion in the 2nd division!

We took 2nd in the first class, fourth (I think) in the second class because we pulled a rail, first in my third class and 3rd in the last one. If you watch the video you can see where my knee buckles over the top of jump number 5. For about half a second I thought about continuing on with no stirrup, but then I realized that my knee decided to stop working all together so that's why I stopped to regroup. It was just a schooling show, so there was no need to go balls-to-the-wall.

On the critical side, I'm thinking I may need to shorten my stirrups a hole or two. My toes seem to be turned out a lot more than normal (I can't keep perfect equitation with my leg because of my own conformation) and my legs seem to be wrapping around a lot more than they should in show jumping. Let me know if you agree...


1 comment:

allhorsestuff said...

Hello..found you from Daun's blog.
I love your videos and I am about to embark on jump training with my mare.
We did a bit last year..but the theroy and some basics is what I need also..anything....
would you be willing to be help me in anywhat you can..books or advise. I will be taking video of the lessons and maybe posting them..you could tell me what you think and know??
Sincerely yours,
Kacy
P. S.
from my limited knowledge,as you know is, I do agree that your leg is too lond and that may be why your toes were extra pointed outward. since this poist...no doubt, you did something different..so tell me how that went.