Friday, November 7, 2008

Why I Can't Ride Equitation

I got a response to my blog awhile ago about the last NWAHJA Show and my stirrup length. I have in fact shortened my stirrups a hole as well as worked on getting Coaster in front of my leg sans-spurs. One of the hard things about riding an extremely talented and athletic horse, is that he doesn't have to use himself over fences until the jumps get either really wide or over 4 foot, so getting him and keeping him in front of my leg can be a hassle at 3'3", which is the height that we are competing at in Training level right now.

Though something major about my riding that I would like to point out as "not pretty" is my toes. If you watch my videos or look at my pictures, my heels are not down and my toes are pointed out. However, if you have a skilled eye, you can see that my weight and balance come from my lower leg. The heel up and toes out thing comes from my own conformation. Just as some horses are built to look "pretty," some people are not put together correctly for the textbook position. My calf muscle and overall soft tissues of my lower legs are too short for my shin bone. If you saw me walking down the street, you may notice that I toe out as I walk. LoL, I've even been known to interfere and fall down on my face!

With my lower leg conformation as well as my knee problem, the result is a not-so-equitation ride from Lauren! This is why I do eventing, it's not about being pretty, and even in dressage your stirrups are too long to have your heel down. Look at the upper levels of dressage, their heels are level with the ground.

Speaking of eventing and eventful cross country runs, the shoulder is healing well and I'm hoping to at least be able to go lunge Coaster next week and start some light riding.

1 comment:

allhorsestuff said...

That was so fast..hi again!
I went back to my blog before turnin the computer off..and I had another follow/lead/share person..YOU!
Greeat!
Thanks for the explaination and I am learning already!
See you soon!
Kacy