Monday, September 12, 2011

My New Man


I guess it's about time I introduce the new man in my life: Dixie Demon (aka Flint). When I started my job at Hickory Hills Flint had been there for about six months; Elizabeth bought him off of a high school girl who had gotten him off the track to be her next Young Rider horse. Flint proved to be a bit more of a project than the girl wanted to take on at the time (he has the tendency to be a little naughty/opinionated sometimes), so Elizabeth bought him and turned him out for a few months before starting him back slowly through natural horsemanship
methods. By the time I got there he was really starting to make the turning point in his training where he was beginning to realize that a.) humans were in charge and b.) he was not. Haha - you know me, I like my guys a little head strong and somewhat emotional basket cases! From the first tim
e I saw him on the lunge line I knew that the horse needed to be an eventer - the way he carries himself, his trot, his canter, his gallop; it's all there. The horse is sup
er confident in some things but then has his few moments where there is zero confidence - can we say off the track Thoroughbred?! After I sold Coaster at the beginning of the summer (and yes, I did cry a little) I decided that I had to have Flint.

Our first outing at a local hunter/jumper show in June proved to be a success. After arriving in the box stall in the big trailer (it's a long story that finally ended with Flint and his poofy mane and tail in the box stall) he hopped around warm up like a rockstar and took a 6th in his first 2'6" jumper class and then the blue in the second class. Jumping wise I d
on't think the horse is scared of a thing; water makes him nervous (so our first event should be entertaining to say the least), but jumping is not his issue (knock on wood!). The main issue we have had throughout the summer is shoulder control (haha, so basically: steering). I would have been able to work on this issue a lot over the summer except between dealing with glue-on shoe issues (remember - off the track Thoroughbred) and then me being grounded for the finger incident, I didn't get a lot of saddle time on him. He's coming back though, and after, erm, "sharing his opinion" on getting back in the swing of thing
s he has decided that he DOES want to go back to work, contrary to his immediate reaction to the idea. I am truly enjoying this horse and hopefully we will continue our progress up to our first event at the end of October at Holly Hill. Naturally I will keep y'all posted! :-)

I just had to put this picture in - it is typical Flint! Haha! I don't know who he is giving the "stink eye" to! What a diva!

No comments: