Saturday, July 26, 2008

FREE GAS!!!

First things first: "Happy Birthday to me, Happy Birthday to me, Happy Birthday dear LauRen, Happy Birthday to me!"

Okay, now that task one is completed, onto the funny thing I got in the mail. If you subscribe to the Dover Saddlery catalogs then you have seen their new Summer Sale issue. For those of you who haven't, Dover is offering a "FREE GAS" offer: $10 gas card with a purchase of $150! I find this a.) entertaining but also b.) kind of sad.

I'm a college student so I'm always strapped for cash, and driving the truck to haul my horse around doesn't help my bank account...and I've known that gas prices have been high (trust me, I almost break down into tears every week at the pump), but I never really thought I would see the day that a tack store would offer a gas card. Halter, yes. Saddle pad, yes. But gas card?!

So this brought up a question in my own head: How many people have not gone to horse shows this year because of gas prices? The main reason I've had a non-existent season is because I've been so sick and I don't have the cash for the entry fee itself! Obviously Dover is worried about gas prices affecting their sales at some point. I guess it makes sense - they have a lot of show merchandise. If people aren't showing, they aren't buying the equipment it takes to show...yadda yadda yadda.

So I'm going to try this "poll" feature on blogger - but if y'all don't answer then I'm going to be sad and never write my opinions again...lol...doubtful, but seriously, I want to know how much gas prices have affected your horsey traveling this year.

No comments: