Tuesday, July 22, 2008

HBO: Real Sports

I just got finished watching the HBO Real Sports that featured Eventing. Wow. That is all I really have to say. The picture they painted, thank God, wasn't as dark as they could have made it, but they certainly didn't keep it very pretty. They were quick to shoot off numbers of horses and riders that have been injured in the past couple of years, but they don't mention that a fair percentage of the equine deaths were not jump related, but rather freak episodes like heart attacks. I think the knowledge of the causes of death changes the connotation a bit, don't you?

They interviewed Darren, even showed his fall. Now let it be known that I have always admired Darren Chiacchia as a rider, but I am really wondering about the cuckoo factor post-accident. He started going on about how he saw his late father and how his father said it was okay to go on with him (on into an afterlife I presume...)...oh dear.

Then there was an interview of Mia Eriksson's mother. Mia died in 2006 at Galway Downs, tragically her sister died in 2003 due to a horse accident as well. Ms. Erkisson goes on national television trying to portray herself as a sound horse person by lunging a horse wearing capri pants and tennis shoes. Now I know I am old school Pony Club, but come on lady! If I knew I was going to be on television portraying horses, I would at least look a bit more professional while lunging my horse!
Now don't get me wrong, I mourn for the woman. Having watched my own parents bury my younger sister to a freak accident, a story such as this one really does tug at my heart. However, I don't think that her daughters - either one of them - would want their mother going on television calling their sport a "killer" at the upper levels. The lady is even going as far as filing charges against the USEA. Here is the rest of the story on that one...

I must say, I am very happy that HBO interviewed David O'Connor. He was very professional in his opinion (and mine at that!) that when it comes down to it, the responsibility lies with the rider. He had a great quote (this is not verbatim, but the gist is here): "When it comes down to it, it is just the horse and rider out there on the competition field and nobody else. The rider is responsible for what their horse can and can't do, and the overall horse's welfare." That is so true. I'm not saying that freak accidents don't happen, but it is obvious which rider and horse combinations get in over their head out on course. To me, a good rider can get a horse around a course, but a great rider knows when their horse has reached their limit and pulls up before a freak accident does happen...

The only real thing that got me ultra ticked off about this segment, was the lack in background information. The sport as a whole has changed greatly in the past decade. No one can tell me that these changes haven't played a part in all the recent accidents. I believe that people are getting a little too big for their britches and think that without the long format a three day event is easier. It is NOT! If anything it is harder. I just wish people would realize this before they send in the entry fee...it isn't worth a good horse and certainly not a person's life.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello,

Gotta give you a big "Amen, sister" on your recap of the HBO Real Sports story. I am no fan of this show, nor of Bryant Gumbel. I do have to give credit to Frank DeFord, the coorespondent, in giving a rather even handed report. He even defended it against a typical Bryant Gumbel attack, and stated that it was a marvelous spectator sport.

I had the opputunity to be in David's June clinic in Benton, LA. David read us riders the riot act. He said if we wanted to rid the sport of these types of problems, that all we had to do was ride better. The clinic itself was one of the best experiences of my riding life.

Hope to see you around Area V, and keep blogging.

Keith
Dallas, TX

Anonymous said...

"Rider responsibility" is a great slogan, but the sport as it is now leaves some riders realizing they are in over head only as they are their horses are flipping over at full speed. Mistakes, which are a part of any learning process in any sport, can cost you your life in eventing, and even more tragically the life of a horse who cannot comprehend the risks. Trainers are obviously not telling riders they aren't up for it, neither are their fellow competitors (you say it's obvious which combos are over their heads - do you tell them? will they listen? what happens if they don't - nothing...) So off they go, only realizing as they are crushed under their horses that they are out of their league. Too late. For that rider, that horse and the sport as a whole.

And could "rider responsbility" have helped prevent Darren's fall? Of course not. It's an easy slogan to bandy about, but worthless in solving these problems.

Anonymous said...

Hello,

I have to beg to differ. Rider responsibility is the key for most riders. Even at the lower levels, one should take a good look at their skill set, and ask themselves if they are ready to advance to the next level. I see people all of the time advance to the next level that should not, because they get wrapped up in going "prelim", to keep up with others, or to placate their own ego. Advancing a level is a serious subject, and should not be taken lightly.

I agree with your comment that some Trainers are not doing their job, or for that matter should be trainers. The USEA has tried to institute the ICP program, but in some cases, because one can pass a test, does not mean that one is a good trainer. I can only speak for myself, I will advance a level, when the courses in the events I am riding have become easy, and the time is not a difficult to make.

As for Darren's accident, the Reel Sports spot showed it. I was able to slow it down on my PVR, and was interested to see, a couple of things. Darren's horse looked to get behind his leg on what appeared to be an Irish Bank. A relatively narrow oxer followed on a related distance. Just before, the horse attempted the jump, Darren jumped ahead. As a grown male who rides, I very familiar with this mistake, as I have trained for years to not to do it. All riders jump ahead occasionally, it’s almost a reflex, but with us guys, it is an even bigger problem. As our center of gravity changes, it can easily alter the horse's center as well. By both jumping ahead, and the horse being behind his leg, was a recipe for disaster. From what I understand, the horse was one of Darren's younger ones, so his inexperience also probably paid a part. If it were Windfall, or a more experienced horse, they would never been behind his leg at all. I am curious to see if anyone agrees with my evaluation of it.

Keith
Dallas, TX

Anonymous said...

"all riders jump ahead occasionally, it’s almost a reflex, but with us guys, it is an even bigger problem. As our center of gravity changes, it can easily alter the horse's center as well."

so they need to make all the fences frangible so when this common mistake happens, no one dies. Darren was certainly not being irresponsible. He made a common mistake. Those should not be deadly.

I'm not saying rider responsibility isn't a good idea (everyone needs to put their ego on hold when dealing with horses), but by focusing on that to the point of ignoring other solutions is very counterproductive. Drivers have to be responsible on the road, but we also have speed limits, airbags and seatbelts.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Yes if the truth be known, in some moments I can say that I approve of with you, but you may be in the light of other options.
to the article there is stationary a suspect as you did in the downgrade efflux of this request www.google.com/ie?as_q=surething cd dvd labeler deluxe 5.0.557.0 ?
I noticed the catch-phrase you have not used. Or you functioning the black methods of promotion of the resource. I possess a week and do necheg