Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Saddle Envy

My Stubben does not fit Coaster. Period. And I hate padding up saddles, because there is only so much you can do, and if the saddle doesn't fit then the saddle doesn't fit. I've been dealing with this issue for quite sometime now, but just haven't had the funds to purchase a different saddle, but I think it is about time. I really can't expect him to do much more or perform any better without proper fitting equipment - a runner can't run in shoes that are compeletly the wrong size...

So I'm thinking of a.) taking out a loan or b.) hitting up the parents for a loan to buy either an Antares or a Devoucoux jump saddle. I kind of look at it as an investment - if this is what I'm going to do with my life then I need a saddle that is going to fit me and my horse properly. And even when I get another horse, the topline is most likely going to be similar to Coaster's. I really feel that to give the upper levels a fair shot I need a new saddle to help...now I just need to figure out how to pay for it...haha, does anybody have a few extra mill layin' around they can toss me?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd recommend against Antares but would rather not comment publicly on why. Suffice it to say that I have experienced a SEVERE quality issue with my new Antares.

Lauren said...

Thanks for your input! If anyone else has any suggestions please let me know!

Bev said...

You didn't really say if you're replacing your jumping or dressage, but I'm guessing you mean your jumping saddle. Either way, I've been doing a lot of looking myself. I'm worried about adjustability because my horse is young enough, both in age and training, to expect significant change in his back over the next several years. Have you considered something with an adjustable tree like a Kieffer, Laser, or Prestige? I think some models of Schleese and Hennig saddles are very adjustable as well.

You also might want to browse this web site I happened to find a few weeks ago (www.fine-used-saddles.com). I haven't ever bought anything from them but their web site is impressive and I did send them an email to ask about one saddle I saw. They sell used, high-end saddles. (I think they mostly are selling saddles for other people on consignment.) Although they don't mention it, I suspect purchase price is negotiable, given the current conditions of the economy and credit markets.

I hope this information helps. Good luck.

Bev said...

I was really tired last night when I wrote my comment. (I'd had a somewhat emotional day. My dog is really sick and I wasn't able to sleep.) Sorry, you DID say jumping saddle.