Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Progress Progress Progress!

I am so pleased with Coaster's progress! His cough is much better - Thank God! And I think he's really enjoying this new program we've been doing. Before I get on him I "play" with him on the ground from anywhere between 10 to 30 minutes working on moving him away from pressure, forward when I ask, back when I ask...basically anything and more that I would ask while in the saddle. Then, since I'm taking a break from hard work to go back to the basics, I get on him (bareback with a rope halter) and ask him to move around off my leg, forward, back, etc. I've decided that I'm not putting a bit in his mouth until I can walk/trot/canter on a 20 meter circle with the correct bend and transitions in the halter. This will keep both of us from bracing against the bit - which was our biggest issue. Also, if I can ride him completely off of my body then when we get the bit in, that will just be our safety net.

No comments: