Sunday, April 5, 2009

Not Quite Ready for Liberty Yet...

Well, yesterday I thought I'd see how much Coaster liked me and tried a little bit of liberty work in the round pen. I learned two things a.) my horse is pretty darn scopey and b.) he doesn't think I'm nearly as much fun as exploring the farm on his own! Literally in the first circle (my back was too him - absolutely no pressure) and picked up a slow jog of a trot and hopped right up and over the 3 1/2 foot fence surrounding the round pen - from that little jog of a trot! Seriously it might as well have been an x-rail! If he had been cantering or even had a forward trot I wouldn't have thought anything of it, but we are talking that western pleasure type jog that is more like a fast walk with two beats! Of course post jump he proceded to run around the farm for 10 minutes before he decided to walk back to me as if nothing had happened - needless to say I don't think we are quite ready for any true liberty work yet!

Other than that though I've been riding him walk/trot/canter in the halter, getting all of my transitions off my body - I'm very impressed with how much all of this groundwork has paid off!

No comments: